DEBUNKING MYTHS ABOUT HAVING LOCS


I know most of us can relate to having heard a lot of scary stories of having dreads being rumored by family and friends. Well you ain't alone, I decided to highlight some of what I hear and debunk it for loc newbies so that they do not get discouraged by the negativism out there.

Myth 1⃣: Locs are so permanent
She took down her locs after 27years

Locs are formed from hair that are allowed to mat for a long period of time. It somehow makes sense to expect that this hair can not be taken down except you cut it off.
Well, as most of us are now aware, this is isn't true as as it isn't news that hair  conditioners are the in thing in unravelling locs even those that has been kept in for a really long time.
A sensational loc queen who has had her locs for over 11 years shared a YouTube video where she loosed her locs with a rattail comb after conditioning it.

Myth 2⃣: Locs are dirty
The belief that those who carry locs carry unwashed and dirty locs. I mean I wash my locs more often that those who carry braids or weaves for a long time. So how can someone make such generalized statements about locs.
Even those free forming have a washing routine incorporated into their do-nothing regimen to ensure healthy locs.
This myth must have been stemmed up from those who neglect their locs and do not give it any maintenance whatsoever.

Myth 3⃣: Locs damage your hair

I don't need to explain the "falsehoodness" that lies in this statement to you guys. If anything,my hair has never been any healthier. I mean what surpasses the feeling of taking down a loc and be welcomed by a really long strand of hair.
In no form does locs damage your hair,except you have a really stringent routine that is unhealthy for your locs such as tight protective styles that pull on your edges or scalp,retwisting your locs as often as twice a month, having your locs in a ponytail for too long in a tight elastic that can thin it out.

Myth 4⃣: Locheads are rastas, smokers, drinkers, etc

I see nothing to debunk here as we all know that we all do not fall into that category but these stereotypes they keep inventing is their cross to carry while I keep rocking my locs. They should also know that locheads are also lawyers,doctors,athletes champions,etc

Myth 5⃣: Locs are not a professional hairstyle

I really do feel sorry for my locs brothers and sisters who have been denied jobs due to this myth. It dampens my spirit to realize that despite how educated these people putting this laws claim to be,they are just as uneducated not to realize that locs are locs and a natural hairstyle too.

📣🔊🎤To my locs Kings and Queens,I want you to know that I hold y'all in the highest regard possible for being able to rise above these stereotypes and still begin your journey for whatsoever reason,you guys are the real MVPs. I have deep respect for us loc wearers as our mindset are liberated that's why I love the slogan My hair is locd but my mind is free.

Get my free eBook here.

Thanks for reading. What stereotypes about locs have you heard. Please share in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts