LOC CARE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS PART 1⃣


1⃣
Q: Can I start locs on really short hair like 3"?
A: Yes, of course. You can do this by using a dread sponge. This is usually a foam with holes in it. The sponge is then rubbed clockwise around your head till your hair begins to clump to form a loc. Care should be taken to avoid over rubbing at once in order to avoid irritation of scalp.

2⃣
Q: Does the size of my parting of my locs affect the size of my locs afterwards?
A: Yes, sure. A smaller parting will give rise to a smaller loc size as opposed to a larger loc parting.

3⃣
Q: What of the number of my locs. Does it affect my locs size?
A: Yes it does. A larger loc parting will give rise to a fewer loc numbers. Likewise a smaller loc parting will form a higher number of locs. Please note that hair density plays an important role too.
A rule of thumb for this is;
❤<60=thick locs
❤70-80=medium-thick locs
❤>100=small-medium locs
❤>200=small-microlocs
Also note that your hair density also plays an important role as a dense hair will produce a relatively thicker hair than one that is scanty or sparse.

4⃣
Q: Which method is preferable to start locs?
A: I explained more in details here.

5⃣
Q: When can I have my first wash?
A: For locs started with twists,braids,instant locs,interlocks,; you can wash your starter locs anytime as deemed fit but for locs started with comb/finger coils, the trick is to keep the coils in place while you wash in order to prevent it from unraveling therefore allowing your starter locs tighten.
  With that said, it is advisable to
❤Wash your locs before going to get comb coils to elongate wash time
❤Start comb oils with natural oils and not heavy products as they tend to cause your scalp to itch unnecessarily
❤When indicated,wash with a stocking cap over your starter locs to keep the locs in place while you wash
❤Wash with a residue free shampoo and a shampoo that does not foam a lot
With this tips in mind,you are free to have a first safe wash without disrupting your locs.

6⃣
Q:How do I keep my locs moisturised?
A: You can simply do this by getting a spray bottle mixed with water and oils.
Or you wet your locs first and later seal it in with the oils mentioned below.
Natural oils are preferable(see examples here) as they do not cause unnecessary build up and itch.
Note that when using essential oil(examples here), ensure to dilute it with your natural or carrier oils as they tend to be heavy.

7⃣ Q: Where do I apply the oils?
A: This is an important question. Please always endeavour to oil your scalp or roots as opposed to oiling your loc shaft. As the most important part of your hair is your scalp from which new hair grows from.
Oiling your locs itself only gives your locs shine but true moisturizing starts from focusing on your scalp first.

8⃣
Q: How often should I moisturize my scalp?
A: Please try and endeavour to do so at three times a week as opposed to everyday unless indicated as too much oil can slow down your locking process.

9⃣
Q: How often should I wash my locs?
A: This depends on your lifestyle but aim at getting a wash at least once a month when indicated.

🔟
Q: How should I maintain my new growth?
A: You can maintain your locs by palmrolling, interlocking or crocheting if you are not free forming your locs. Your choice of maintenance depends in a number of factors which are well explained here.

1⃣1⃣
Q: How often should I maintain my new growth?
A: A rule of thumb is to aim at 6-8weeks at least regardless of how you choose to maintain your locs. More details highlighted here.

1⃣2⃣
Q: Help, my locs are frizzy. I have loose hair coming out of my locs. What should I do?
A: It is important to bear in mind that frizz is a part of the process of having locs. Embrace it. If you're so obsessed about maintaining neat locs, you can crochet in the frizz with a crochet hook.

1⃣3⃣
Q: I heard that sea salt spray can get my locs to lock faster. Is it true?
A: It does this by drying up your locs. When your locs are dry, it tends to be firmer and tighter which gives it the locking effect.

1⃣4⃣
Q: I want to dye my locs but I don't know if it is safe to do so?
A: If you do not know how to do so,it is best to leave it for an expert to do so for you and it is advisable you observe these RULES before going to dye your locs.

1⃣5⃣
Q: How do I get my locs to lock faster?
A: Loc journey is a patient one. You do not grow locs in a day except you are opting for loc extensions. But here are a few tips to do that:
❤Maintaining a clean scalp
❤Maintaining dry locs after a wash to avoid meadow growth in your locs.
❤Avoid over oiling your locs. It slows down the process.

1⃣6⃣
Q: How do I prevent my locs from unravelling after a retwist
A: I made a post that answers that. You can read it up here but I will highlight some points
❤Wear a stocking cap/satin bonnet/ durag to bed
❤Avoid your locs from getting wet by using a shower cap.
❤Sit under a dryer after retwisting to give your locs more hold
❤Use a swim cap when you go swimming
You might have to opt in for interlocking to maintain your roots if you are a very active person.

1⃣7⃣
Q: I was told that if I get dreads, I can't take it down. I would have to cut my hair.
A: You can take down locs by letting a conditioner sit in your locs for a while before using a rattail comb to take it down.

1⃣8⃣
Q: Can I use hair conditioner on my locs?
A: Hair conditioners are typically creamy substances that tend to detangle hair. If used on locs,it sloes down the locking process and the creamy consistency can cause buildup on your locs.

1⃣9⃣
Q: How then can I condition my locs after washing it?
A: We know that washing your locs strips it off its natural oils. These oils can be replaced by doing a hot oil treatment. This can easily be done by
❤Applying oil on your locs and covering it with a steam or plastic cap to warm it up or
❤Warming the oils first and applying all over your locs after damping it first

2⃣0⃣
Q: I got lint and buildup on my locs. How do I get it out?
A: Read my post here on how to do so.

SUPPORT MY HUSTLE TODAY 🙏 by purchasing my detailed eBook here for only $2.

SHARE. COMMENT. SUBSCRIBE
Feel free to drop your questions below in the comment sections. It will be answered in the next post.

Comments

Post a Comment

Drop your comments and questions here

Popular Posts